Monday, December 16, 2013

16-12-2013 Weekends and the end of them.

FORENOTE: I know I have been much delayed with providing a sense of musical expression, I know. Right now, my skills are a little bit weak for identification, but I provide you with a playlist to listen to while you read. Enjoy, or just listen without reading. (By the way, if you haven't yet, and you like music, check out KEXP
Weekends End


Good morning/afternoon!
It's Monday and a start to another set of five days. While a new day is to new beginnings, what about new weeks? Should we claim that those are to new eras? Think about it, we will have our struggles, our triumphs (and they may be big), and we also have our shortcomings; Time goes forward and continues to do so endlessly. As people, we tend to look back on the past. This is not a bad thing, don't get me confused. Cultures look at their past to remember and hold onto what makes them that culture. Students learn of history of medicine, wars, and cultural movements, with hope by their prior generations that mistakes are not repeated. Then, some of us become stuck in our memories. While memories serve as our personal documentaries, always available for access, they can also limit us in moving forward in our lives; if we focus and hold on to what happened once in our lives and not to what is in the present, or the opportunities the future holds for us, then what are we doing? Even I admit that I have fallen into this rut of living in my memory and isolating myself from the world. The problem with this is that I tended to reside on what actions I could have taken, but didn't, to improve my present: who I talked to, how often I made an effort to keep in touch with others, my involvement in activities, my investments overall. As I keep trying to reexamine the possible pathways, I forget to tend to what I have going on now, my current friends, my family, where I am, and what I have accomplished.
The good news is that the people I do have remind me: of what I have and the good that is going on, not to mention their affirmative energy towards me. I am not sure how well I would be without the love and support from them, and I am always thankful, even when I forget to say each time I see them.
Let's talk about the past for a quick moment! The past, as in, this past weekend ( "ateet laew"). Friday was the start, and it was a great start. I gathered the nerves to ask a friend to go exercising with me and she introduced me to SiMuang Garden, an open park with sports fields and courts which were actively used by many people. Most of these people were teens and young adults, and that was a major change for me. Actually, what I witnessed was the most life and livelihood going on in one place for multiple recreational activities, and it was exhilarating. It gave me the energy to run three quarters of a mile after a week of no exercise due to the injury from my slip. Well, that, and the fact that it was seven in the evening, and the temperature was not in its peak. After that, my friend, as a celebration, took me to Mocha, a small and comfortable restaurant where I had my first traditional Thai Coffee ("olay-yen"). Oddly enough, many Thai people, my friend included, call the restaurant "Moo-sha," or "Moh-sha," which was funny to my ears, and my friend and I shared a good laugh about the pronunciation. Other people listened in, and joined in our frivolities of the word and it added to a good close to the evening.
Saturday continued my incurrence of new experiences. One of them being a noodle house that seemed to be popular, as it was filled with people every time I strolled by. This cued my temptation to try the food. One setback: it was all in Thai:the menus, the language of the employees, everything. Luckily, there was a good Samaritan who knew a little English to help me decide on what to order (noodles, rice, white type of noodle bowl, etc). With that, I was served noodles in a coconut bowl, mmm!
 Around 7:00P.M, my friend came by and we went to a festival celebrating the history of Rayong, in the old part of town.  
 

It was loud, and there was food everywhere, as well as street artists, and vendors of other sorts. Art galleries were of open access for the public, to which we wandered about and appreciated pieces. We also happened to run into many people Nai, my friend, knew. Apparently she knows a lot of people, and it was evident. While at the festival, we met with other associates of the hospital I am working at now, and all were very friendly. One of these friends even mentioned that another celebration would be happening the next weekend, at SiMuang Garden. (Is it possible that I may have new plans?) After the festival, we decided to grab a small bite to eat, and go home. We found a small food park/market to eat food,and made our way back for the evening.

 Vendors selling all sorts of pad Thai, friend rice, snacks and sweets.
Lights canopied the road, which was made of brick, and the road itself was congested with the traffic of people.
The lights! 
 At the festival, we even indulged in some nummy coconut water, freshly made and with bits of coconut! We even had the option to drink it out of bamboo shoots.


Children performed in cute dancing and lipsyncing numbers, with flashy lights!

 Some important people in the culture and history of Rayong: politicians and athletes!

At the entrance, we exited.

Sunday consisted mainly of errands and tasks. Getting Microsoft Office for my PC (Finally), craft supplies for Kevin, and binders and dividers for me, wahoo! Oh! And I received one of the best Christmas presents: a helmet. That way I can protect my head for the motor taxi treks I will need to make.
And on to the present. It is Monday, the start to the new work week, and so far, I think it was okay, and should be full of optimism. It is a week of integrated observation, and so far, I have had two signs of positivity: one, I took a motor taxi to work in the morning, and I asked for a ride, reciting the practiced phrase I was taught Friday, then asked for the price to agree on. The driver I asked told me that the price was 30 baht. This surprised me because my aunt informed me that the cost was 40 THB, and the first time I used the taxi, the cost was 40 THB. A ten baht discount without an exchange of bargaining is uplifting. Of course, when I told my aunt, she asked me if I flirted with the driver, and I chuckled and admitted with honesty that I didn't, having only stated what I was taught, and dressed appropriately. 

Maybe it was the red helmet.Maybe it was the red helmet

At work, I met with a few of the employees of the Customer Service desk, introducing myself, and asking for introductions. I think that may be one of the most difficult things to do in socializing, making the first move to talk and get to know one another. Well, the good news is that, even in the short time I spent (about three and a half hours) at the department, I learned the names of five employees, and was able to communicate some ideas. I think that teaching gives the person trying to educate an idea of the how and the why to be patient in communication. After I spoke to one of the employees, her named pronounced 'Wah-nee,' I waited for about twenty to thirty seconds for her to respond, wearing a smile. With the time I gave her, she answered, her intentions clear, and even asked questions. When she finished her speaking, she looked at me, and smiled, a little shaky, but I also saw a spark of accomplishment; she knew that she tried. To me, trying is all that matters, even if it takes more time. In fact, rushing someone to speak in a language that is foreign to them creates a negative appeal to learning a new language, and creates an obstacle for the speaker, because they are now more focused on the speed of trying to respond rather than understanding what they are listening to, and what they need to say. Another employee, Fuki, is an interpreter. She works other parts of the department, such as registration and the customer service, but she also can help in the translation process for the hospital. Before today, we had shared a few exchanges of words, mostly where I greeted her with a polite "Why," a salutation, and asking her how she is. As of recently, we have expanded our topics of verbal exchange. This included her gaining the courage to invite me to join her and other employees for going to eat a meal in the evening. I joyously accepted the invitation because not only does it help her, this also helps me in making more friendships, which increases my confidence.
My mother often tells me that if something is meant to be, it will often work in your favor; if it is not, it will be arduous and beyond stubborn, so do not force it. I keep these words in my mind during times that are trying, and times where things seem to work out magically. This is one of those cases, and I think that if I am reading the signs correctly, it means that I am definitely where I need to be right now, and should continue to work hard to prove my worth, because other people are starting to notice it.


Until next time,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment