Friday, March 21, 2014

21-3-2014: Some quick hints that I picked up so far.

Good afternoon (or evening, to the other side of the world who stays up late),
Per normal, I haven't posted anything in a while due to my lack of inspiration. Today is different.
I have gotten into the rhythm of my work and ongoings, and I do enjoy it. Things have gradually improved since the last few months. For that, I am thankful.
Now, let's get on with the latest updates.
We are coming down to my fourth week of teaching, and I am starting to feel more comfortable in the teaching, as well as feeling more on top of things, organization-wise. Note to anybody: Track you lessons, whether you have a planning book or a day-to-day journal. Seriously.


 If you haven't picked up on why you should already, let me explain the massively important reasons:
1. This will act as your guide.
  • That way, you will not be caught clueless with your pants down when it comes to Lesson Day.
  • You can write activities.
    • Games to use.
    • Documents you may need.

2. This will act as a record.
  • What did you teach?
  • Did you complete the lesson? What do you need to teach for the next class?
  • What activities did you use?
    • Which ones worked? Which didn't?
  • What is the next step?
  • How is the progress of the class?
So, if you think you can keep this all to memory, be my guest, but don't expect to provide evolution if, a month after one of your lessons, you are not able to recall what you taught. This is important especially if your superiors ask: "What have you been teaching them?" This also is important for students who miss class, because you may need to teach them the lesson.

Another tip for guidance in this line of work is to keep in touch with your students outside of the classroom.
  • By this, I mean the minimum amount of contact should be through email, and at least once a week. This is important for giving updates. I use email to send important documents, documents for the past lessons, and documents for upcoming class lessons so that students will feel more prepared because that have some semblance of guidance, or knowledge of the upcoming activities. I also use this so that students can announce to me upcoming absences, or to be able to ask questions in their comfort zones.
  • Also, because of where I work, I am surrounded by my students everyday. It is good to keep in touch, and say hello whenever you do not have class because that:
    • 1) Helps create a more solid relationship with the student, because you know what they look like, it is more personable
    • 2) Helps them practice their English material.
    • 3) It reminds them that you are checking in. You know who is missing class and who isn't. The more you check in, the more likely they are to inform you that they can or cannot come to class.

Lastly, HAVE PATIENCE. In any aspect, really, just have it. If you are in another culture, you should always respect it. Different cultures work in different ways, especially when it comes to time. More often than not, at least 50% of my class students arrive easily fifteen to thirty minutes after my scheduled class has started. For me, the patience is necessary, because of where I teach. Many of the students are working that day, therefore, are needing to excuse themselves from work in order to attend. The other part of the patience, is being patient with each student. They all learn at their own pace; Some students learn more quickly, and others not so much. Patience is key. Plus, impatience will lead the teacher, often, to blame the student, and to become more angry. Angry teachers are not paid attention to, and their success rate falters. Don't be that kind of teacher.

I hope some of this was insightful. If not, it was really just me typing my thoughts.

Until next time,
K



No comments:

Post a Comment