Friday, April 18, 2014

18-4-2014: If Thailand were a Person...

Hi, everybody!
So, because it's Friday, and I had somewhat of an extended holiday (due to the fabulosities of Songkran, which are still being celebrated, by the way), I thought, "Why not write up another post!" Thus, here I am, typing as I think.
*I apologize in advance if this all comes off as babble, it kind of is...

So, I love recognizing observations I make while in this beautiful country, especially when I am making them after six months of being here (imagine when I hit an 18-month mark, AND I still am making more discoveries!) Anyways, one of the first things a foreigner (especially from a westernized country) will notice is how a lot of food and drink, when served as something "to-go," will be served in a plastic bag. For those don't understand, this is what I mean:
Yes, they drink straight from the bag, and sometimes eat straight from the bag as well. Normally, they just take the food home, and pour or distribute the contents onto a plate or into a bowl, depending on what it is. The bagging doesn't only apply to food, it applies to everything. Not just shopping bags or "doggie boxes,"  but, literally, EVERYTHING. I mean, for my one cup o'joe, I was given a plastic bag. They EVEN have a specialized plastic ring with a strap, making your drink as "part" of the bag. WHAT

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't always mind it. I just find it rather humorous when I am having bags of things bagged in mo plastic bags. It can be a little bit unnecessary. There are times that I do appreciate the bags, though. See, because the people of Thailand use plastic bags so often and for everything, they have come to specializing some to increase convenience. For example, if you go to a coffee shop and are picking up a few drinks for other coworkers or friends, there is a bag to help you carry your drinks; they are more reliable than those dinky cartons that McDonalds may give, or the cardboard drink carriers or fast food restaurants may supply. 
(***This is only based on my experience of living in America, and I would love to learn more about the drink-carrying tools used in other cultures!) 

The way these "drink-carrier" bags work, there are two "dips" in the bag, , and part of the bag (the middle) is sealed together, creating two sockets in the bag in which the drinks can sit, and not jumble around wildly, spilling your purchase around messily. It can be quite convenient.

For the eco-friendly people, this can be a concern, because plastic is non-biodegradable and, overall, is not that great to the environment. If you have ventured to Thailand before, you already know how much a problem litter is in Thailand. Plastic bags, cups, broken glass, old food, and so on cover the ground in the less-touristy places. Recycling isn't a big concern here, but I am noticing that the trend is starting to catch on at companies. In all honesty, recycling would not only be beneficial to the environment of Thailand, but to the economy. People would be able to work in recycling plants, earn a living, and reduce the amount of litter around.

So, if Thailand were a person, she would be a crazy bag lady, having a lot of bags that she has no use for, but definitely full of surprises.
As for an update: this upcoming Saturday, I plan to celebrate the festivities of Songkran in Pattaya with friends. It may get wild, and I hope I have pictures!
Other updates: I am still not sure about what my next few months will be like, but, considering how many options I have now, I don't have a doubt that, with time and some effort, more opportunities will make themselves viable. 
I have been talking, of late, to some Thai people through a website called www.conversationexchange.com.
It is an excellent (free) resource for anybody who is interested on learning a language and, in return, will share their own. It can also be a really good way to make contacts for any time you would like to travel to a destination where English is not the first spoken language. In fact, with the connections I am making, I am also receiving insight, suggestions, and support from these friends, in regards to applying to jobs around Thailand. Never underestimate the value of any person, even if you are unsure of their initial value.

Anyways, if anybody has any questions about Thailand, feel free to ask. I love answering the questions I know, and researching the ones I don't. If you have questions about the food in the country, or even if you would like a really easy recipe for a delicious dish (whether it be a dinner course, or a baked good), I welcome that as well!

Until next time,
K.

UPDATE! After posting this (Same day!) I received some Kraw Paow Moo (Stir Fried Pork with basil) and rice (with an egg...that I popped by tripping up some stairs). Each had their own bag, and after receiving them, I also received an apology for not getting another bag to bag my bags of food!



No comments:

Post a Comment