Wednesday, November 6, 2013

7 November 2013

Again, it has been quite ages since I have last posted, but many things have been going on since.
This is the last week before my official "90 days" are up, meaning I am searching for flights outbound so that I can return with my official Non-Immigrant B visa, and let me tell you. It is not a walk in the park. I am not saying that it has been the worst experience in my life, but I would like to mention that it is DEFINITELY a learning experience (one that I would prefer not to repeat).
The plan for now is to fly to Singapore with documents and stay for a few days. (The original plan was to fly to Laos, but unfortunately, their system of visa applications at the Thai embassy is much different than from the embassy in Singapore). Now, I am just hoping that the documents I need for the visa will be ready and in my hands before my flight on the 13th. I currently have a hostel booked for a few days that is nearby the embassy, and I hope that will not be too crazy.
As for Singapore, word of mouth says that people go to Singapore for business, not for pleasure, because it is very expensive. Let's just cross our fingers that I can find some relatively inexpensive means of necessities while abroad (you know: food, transportation, basic needs). And maybe I will have pictures of something interesting.
As for Laos, it looks like I will just save that for another day. I would like to visit, but when I have time and some more income, then it will be made more of a possibility.
Of the things I have done recently, I have been working on making more friends, one of them being a future student, and she has opened up my experiences here in Thailand, including going to Nong Nooch. Here, there were cacti, elephants, gardens, a petting zoo, boardwalks around the garden. I would definitely recommend it!





That, and then in the last week of October, there was a house blessing, which was quite busy, but LOADS of fun!


Big event, monks came, and so did friends and family. That being said, my uncle was not the biggest fan of it all, he becomes uncomfortable in many social situations. One of those preferred wallflowers. Anyways, the house blessing was a success and everybody went home well-fed, and with plenty of food leftover.
Now, back to the current situation: Flights, travel, and stay. This has been one of the most trying adventures I, and my family, have had, because many components to the process were not exactly meshing. Correspondence lagged, and so did decision-making. While Thailand and its people have a wonderful approach to their lifestyle, of having it very relaxed, and moving at a regular pace, there are other aspects of life when this approach is not favorable; for example, in the case of visa applications. BUT, after all of this, I will probably make the biggest sigh of relief and move forward with teaching. And probably celebrate later on, and make more friends across Thailand that will turn into travel buddies, and long time companions!
For now, the hunt for the perfect ticket, and solving all of this madness ensues!
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment