Tuesday, October 7, 2014

7.10.2014- A year, or so.

Oh, hey there, everyone.
If you have been keeping up with my (lackadaisical, to say the least) posting, you will have already noticed that I have finally made an update.
Now, I would like to show a picture, or two, of my most recent adventures. 
About a month ago, I visited Bangkok to see my BALLER of a mother, as she dropped by the country on her way to Vietnam for a conference with HVO. (And there is quite the a nifty anecdote that I can share, you know. Anyways, I went to Bangkok with one of my closest friends, of whom made friends with me and has made my stay in Thailand much smoother than it would have been without her. There are not enough words I can say to show my appreciation for her! 
It is safe to say that the trip, although too short, was a much needed break and a fun adventure.

Now, back to the scene of work. I should mention, that since I work with adults who happen to be shy and, while they wish to learn, they don't wish to speak because they know "a little bit." It is one of the most frustrating things, as someone who wants to make progress: the lack of confidence. Confidence is such a key in something like this, especially, because the only way to really improve is to practice. The concept of "I can't do this perfectly, so I'm not even going to try," is a major point to failure. Think about it, if everyone followed this idea, we would have no athletes, no Nobel-prize awarded scientists, no progression whatsoever.

Hey, look, my workplace has had it's 11th anniversary!
I think it's a cute picture, especially with the flag. CUPCAKE!

In lieu of future plans, I am unsure of what they will be or where I will go, but this is the time that I really need to start my strategic planning. Some of it might include coming back to the US to do extra learning and practice. Some of it might include traveling around some more before I return to the States, but I'm not sure yet, we'll see. I need to be skill-building.

As for children and teaching them. Let me tell you, while they are the most receptive to learning new things, they are also your harshest critics, which make them the best at improving you. When they are bored, they will tell you or act out. When they are excited, they will show it. When they like something, they ask for more; when they don't, they do something else.
They also have their own hierarchy: the ones who understand what they learn show it, and happen to take over lessons, taking away from the slower learners.
That being said, everyday is different, as long as you make it different. Some days are terrible, and you may wonder why you are somewhere, while other days remind you that you love what you're doing now with simple moments.
The project I have been working on are doing okay, though, I must say, I have been reminded, more than once, of why I do not enjoy group projects, dues to the fact that I end up receiving the load of the work, and have the group take the credit, because, you know, that's how group projects work. I don't mind doing the work, as long as I'm informed that I'm in control, so that, if I'm doing all the work, I also have all the control. While I don't mind suggestions, in group work, suggestions must be backed up with the basis that the person will come through, if they want the suggestion to be tried. Otherwise, the group member (who is not able to back up their thoughts) has no power of influence. The problem is, many people are asking for different things but are not doing much in giving back. That must be the Thai way. In addition, I must mention that I'm becoming quite frustrated with one of the staff. Although they have quite good intentions, their unplanned style of taking students out of a class is a nag. They would do this, unannounced (before class), while in the middle of a session, then return them to the class by the time that the class is being quizzed. That is not okay. Also, when there is a new student who has just came in, and it is only fifteen minutes after meeting them, it is not a great idea to see if they are good. Fifteen minutes is not enough to tell someone's complete skill. In addition to that, it is not optimal to pull out the teacher in the middle of a class to interview a student. The key problem I have is that a lot of decisions are being made that involve me, but without informing me or asking for my opinion. The only times these decisions should really be made are in the hiring process of in letting someone go. When a person is a contributor, they must be permitted the same amount of input as the rest of the group.

That's my rant for the time being.

Traveling has become an option, and I feel the desire to do more traveling, to continue seeing the world around because, as of right now, I have been feeling a bit stagnant. Stagnancy leads to restlessness and decrease in self-worth, neither of which progress to better things if not acted upon soon. What happens to an animal if they stay in the cage for too long?

Also, I would love to update on my language learning, My Spanish is pretty horrible at this time, but it's re-improving. I will have to keep practicing that everyday. My Russian is pretty awful, as well, but, at least I know that this is my first time learning it, so I know it's going to be difficult, and Russian, itself, is a very difficult language. *PHEW!*

Apologies for the all-over the place soliloquy, things have been feeling a little all-over the place, not to mention the construction happening in my complex at 7 A.M. I'm pretty sure we have a rule against that for residential areas. That being said, it is a good alarm clock and a great way to get me out of the building.

For final updates, I finally went out with my girls last week to a concert of Joey Boy, a Thai celebrity, and the them of the party was "Mad Hatter" so people wore all kinds of hats. I was unaware of this until we got to the venue, so I made my own hat.
It worked out quite well. We danced, we joked, we played with lights; it was a blast.





As you can tell, We're very photogenic
These ladies are crazier than I am, and I'm more than glad that I have had the fortune of meeting them. Unfortunately, they also have threatened to kidnap me if I decide to go off to another country. I tell you, they are crazy. It's fantastic.
Take a Gander

Off and onward!
Until next time,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment