Monday, April 23, 2012

4-23-2012: Banana Stew! (Gluten-Free)

It is study time for all the university students at my school, so what better than to supply a nifty, tasty, and fairly open to most diets. This delight is gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan (if you choose), and nut-free! I realize that I will need to work on one for a more diabetic palate, so fear not!
I also used my roommates as my guinea pigs for this first-time try. I got the idea for this dish from my travels to Thailand, so it also was a pleasant gustation(taste) memory!.



Ingredients
2 ripe Bananas
3 tbsp of sugar (Optional if you use coconut cream)
1/2 cup of water
1 can of coconut cream for this, (water down 1/4 cup of the coconut cream so that it is 1/2 cup of diluted coconut cream)
1/2 tsp. Ground Cardamom
1/2 tbsp. ghee (Optional)
 For the coconut aspect, you can get a fresh grated coconut and extract the thick and thin coconut milk, but if you don't know how to nor have the time, the coconut cream is a perfect substitute.

1. Place a frying pan on medium-low heat
2. Cut each banana into four pieces, slice those in half longways so you have a total of about 16 pieces.
3. Add the banana, water, 1/2 cup of diluted coconut cream OR thin coconut milk, and sugar. Cook until the bananas are done.
4. Add the "thick" coconut milk and about a 1/2 cup of coconut cream. Let the mixture boil slightly for about 2-5 minutes.
5. Pour this soupy mixture into a serving bowl. Top with the ground cardamom and ghee. Serve. Enjoy!

*This dish is fantastic served hot OR chilled! Also, if you want to make a syrup, I would recommend using honey or agave to mix with the cardamom, and drizzle it on the soup for individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment